Topic: exploring the relationship of slavery and religion; how did it affect the master/slave relationship? how did Christianity contribute both the the beginning and end of slavery? did slaves maintain their native religions in America? etc.
Topic 1: Christianity and Slaves
a. Converting to Christianity: why did slaves convert? were they forced by their masters? or personal choice?
-if forced, were they properly educated about the religion? allowed Sundays off?
-If personal choice, did they need their master’s approval? what if it was denied? were they forced to practice in secret?
b. Did religion affect master/slave relationships?
-were slaves less likely to be punished if they were Christian converts? or have more privileges?
-and, consequently, if they refused to convert, were they more likely to be abused or held on a shorter leash?
c. Did Christianity affect slave behavior?
- were slaves who converted to Christianity better workers? is this why masters insisted slaves be baptized?
Topic 2: Religious discrepancies amongst slaves
- did Christian slaves and non-Christians slaves get along? how did affect relationships when some slaves converted and others didn’t?
- how did converting to Christianity affect the slaves’ culture? did it enhance their native culture or affect it in adverse ways?
Topic 3: The duality of Christianity and slavery
a. how slavery and Christianity both helped and hurt each other
-when considering the Bible, it seems to both support and deny enslavement at the same time
- the curse of Ham
- Christianity’s moral objections to human bondage
b. the Christian influence on abolition
- specifically, the Methodist antislavery movement and spirituality
- Christian slave revolts vs. non-Christian slave revolts
This is a very rough draft. I am in the middle of in depth research on the specific aspects of slavery and religion. Once I find sources to support my arguments, I can begin to really narrow down what I want to discuss. And feedback would be much appreciated! I know this is late, but I’ve been sick and had a busy weekend with band obligations and the parents visiting and whatnot.